Monday, September 24, 2012

I am proud

I looked through several blogs this summer in order to find ideas for this year and I really enjoyed some of the things I found online, so I thought that perhaps I should share some of what I do so that maybe other teachers could see my ideas and give me some feedback.

The first major accomplishment I had this year was during 3 week testing (instead of one large test at the end of the 9 week period we have to test every 3 weeks now) I decided to do authentic assessments instead of multiple choice tests. These are the tests I gave:

5th grade - Create a six pane comic strip showcasing tests used in lab for the physical properties of matter. I provided the students with the six pane comic strip template and the six words (density, insulator, conductivity, magnetism, solubility and 3 states of matter). The students could draw pictures of the labs we had completed or they could create a comic that showcased the six words.

6th grade - Create a three panel foldable showcasing metals, non metals and metalloids. Students had to write one word on each panel and draw a picture depicting at least one metal, non metal and metalloid. On the inside of each panel the students had to use the periodic table to list 10 metals, 10 non metals and 5 metalloids and they had to list 4 physical properties for each category (luster, sonorous, conductivity, melting point, etc.)

7th grade - Since these students take the state test in writing this year I got a sample writing prompt from the LA teacher and I converted it to a photosynthesis prompt. Students had to imagine they were plants and had to make their own food. They had to write about how they would do this and they had to use the scientific terms.

8th grade - Students had to draw 6 atoms showing charges, labeling all part and including the cell from the periodic table also labeled. They had to write a paragraph about how to use the periodic table to make the model and a paragraph about how to use the model to determine which element the model referred to. They also had to define subatomic particle, proton, neutron, electron, nucleus and valence electron.














I was very proud of my ideas and of the work my students put out. Normally my students work in groups but since this was a test they had to work alone and in silence. They were bummed but they did a wonderful job. I am so proud of them and of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment